Saturday, January 14, 2012

Potato and Onion Frittata

The holidays were great, and not going to lie -- I ate waaaay too much food and drank entirely too much wine.  Regardless of how much fun I had eating, drinking, and playing with miss Ivy, it feels fantastic to be home cooking again :)  One of my New Year's resolutions is to eat (and cook) more often at home.  I've been eating out way too much, and eating at home more often will help fatten my wallet and slim my waist.  I, like most people, would like to get in better shape, and eating better goes hand-in-hand with that goal.  I have decided to menu plan on a weekly basis to help me both save money and be better prepared to cook when I get home from a tiring day at work.

I woke up this morning excited to head to the grocery store and make breakfast.  I've been craving egg frittata!  Walking out to my car, I encountered a horrible surprise; some jackass threw a rock through my driver's side window :(  I was furious.  Thankfully, my car is already fixed (!), and the roomie let me take her car to the grocery store, so everything worked out!

For breakfast, I made us a potato and onion frittata and sauteed bell peppers and onions.  The frittata turned out so lovely!! This is only my second time tackling a frittata, and I couldn't be more pleased with the way it turned out this morning.  I basically used one recipe from the Great Food Fast Everyday Food cookbook and another from a Simple and Delicious Taste of Home magazine.  Both recipes sounded great, although they used somewhat different techniques and ingredients.  I took ideas from both recipes, and my delicious love child was born.  The Everyday Food recipe advised me to use a non-stick broiler safe skillet, which I did not have.  Instead I used my cast iron skillet, which gave the frittata a crunchy bottom which I found quite delightful.  This breakfast turned out wonderful and healthy!  For a healthy side dish, I sauteed one red and one yellow bell pepper with 1/2 sliced red onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil and approximately 1 teaspoon minced garlic.  This breakfast was so enjoyable on a day that started out poorly.  I will definitely make this frittata again, and I will continue to experiment with different vegetables and spices to add to it. Enjoy!


Potato and Onion Frittata
Serves 4
2 T olive oil
1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 large baking potato, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 t dried rosemary, crumbled
Coarse salt & fresh ground pepper
8 large eggs
1/2 C lightly chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 T shredded cheddar cheese

In a medium skillet (10-inch), heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onion, potato, and rosemary; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.  Cover the skillet, and cook for approximately 10 minutes; uncover.  Cook, tossing the mixture occasionally, until the onion and potato are tender, about 5 minutes.  Scrape browned bits of the bottom of the pan as you toss the mixture.  Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, parsley leaves, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Heat the broiler on high with a rack set 4-6 inches from the heat.  Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the vegetables in the skillet and toss to coat.  With a spatula, press the potato and onion mixture to the bottom of the skillet to form the crust.  Pour the egg mixture into the skillet.  Cook on the stove, over low heat, lifting the mixture a few times around the edges with a spatula to let egg flow underneath.  Continue cooking until the frittata is almost set in the center, about 10 minutes.  Place the skillet under the broiler; broil until the frittata is set and the top is lightly golden, about 3 minutes.  Take skillet out of the oven, top the frittata with 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, and let stand for five minutes.  Run a clean spatula around the edges to loosen, cut pie-shaped wedges, and serve.  You could also loosen the entire frittata and slide it onto a plate prior to cutting the pieces. 



No comments:

Post a Comment