Sunday, November 13, 2011

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts

I found the recipe for the brussels sprouts on Pinterest.  I cannot describe how wonderful this dish turned out!  I omitted the nuts from the brussels sprouts -- mostly because I was lazy and didn't want to toast them.  The sprouts have the perfect mix of veggie and sweet.  The texture turned out wonderfully.  I served this with my Hoisin Glazed Salmon.  Although all three dishes in that meal were a little sweet, the flavors actually turned out well together.  I would highly suggest this side dish with steak or chicken.  Enjoy!!


Serves approximately 3-4 as a side.

12-14 large brussels sprouts
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 glove garlic, minced
pinch sea salt
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)

Cut off stems and slice each brussels sprout very thin until you have a mound of feathery brussels sprout ribbons.  Heat the olive oil over medium high in a large skillet and saute the garlic for 30 seconds.  Add the brussels sprouts and continue sauteing for another 4-5 minutes, until bright green and tender (or longer if you like them more well-done, like me).  Add the sea salt and brown sugar and toss together.  Finish by adding the toasted nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment