Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mexican Baked Eggs

This breakfast hit the spot yesterday and this morning.  The bean mixture adds a nice base to the baked eggs.  I actually split my mixture up in two baking dishes so I could eat it over two days; I'm not a fan of reheated eggs.  Yesterday morning I did not make indentations where the eggs were supposed to go, and the eggs, as a result, kind of spread out and lost the yolks.  Today I made the indentations, and it seemed to work much better!  (See the pictures below).  The original recipe called for any kind of shredded cheese.  I used half Cotija cheese because I had some left over from my chili party last week.  I used grated cheddar cheese for the remaining amount.  Also, the orignal recipe called for diced jalepenos, but I opted for red bell peppers since that's what I had on hand, and because they are a powerhouse of vitamin C.  The original recipe listed a cook time of 5-8 minutes before broiling; this did not work for me.  In a 350 degree oven, I had to cook my eggs for approximately 13 minutes before they were almost set.  So watch this!  I live in the Montana, so maybe the altitude had something to do with it.  This was definitely a delicious breakfast.  I am a huge fan of Mexican breakfast and spice, so the flavors were a perfect combination for me.  The beans definitely have a little kick to them, so lessen the amount of chili powder if you're not into that sort of thing.  Enjoy!!

Yesterday's Baked Eggs:

Today's Baked Eggs:

Ingredients
1 T olive oil
1 small sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 t ground cumin
1 t chipotle chili powder
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes or 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes (I used fresh)
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 t oregano
1 handful cilantro, chopped
4 eggs
1/2 cup cheese (I used half cotija and half cheddar)

Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.  Add the onions and bell pepper and saute until tender, 5-7 minutes.  Add the garlic, cumin, chipotle chili powder, and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add the tomatoes, black beans, and oregano and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.  Place half of the mixture into a baking dish, and partly hollow out holes where your eggs will go (just indent the mixture a bit).  Top the indentations with the eggs, and spoon the remaining mixture around the eggs.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until the eggs just start to set, about 5-15 minutes (see note in introduction paragraph).  Top with the cheese and broil until it melts, no more than a minute or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment