Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hoisin Glazed Salmon with Caramelized Brussels Sprouts and Balsamic Roasted Butternut Squash



O. M. G.  This meal was perfectly fantastic.  Initially I questioned whether or not the three dishes would go well together, but I had to eat my salmon, brussels sprouts and squash, so I gave it a go.  Oh my goodness was it a success!  The salmon recipe, from Martha's Great Food Fast cookbook, is the best recipe for salmon I have found.  I have made the dish close to 50 times, and I guarantee it is a crowd pleaser.  I found the recipe for the brussels sprouts and squash on Pinterest.  I cannot describe how wonderful each dish turned out!  I omitted the nuts from the brussels sprouts -- mostly because I was lazy and didn't want to toast them.  I did not add vegetables to the squash dish, and to be honest, it truly doesn't need it.  The caramelized onions are absolutely divine, and I will definitely be making both dishes again in the very near future.  As usual, I sipped on a glass (or two) of Sauvignon Blanc while cooking and dining.  All three recipes are incredibly easy (and inexpensive) to make, and I can't suggest them strongly enough.  They are to DIE for.  Enjoy :)


Hoison Glazed Salmon




1 Tablespoon Orange Juice
2 Tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
2 teaspoons Honey
4 salmon filets
Course salt & ground pepper
(I typically double the glaze recipe because it's delicious and I like lots of it)

Heat the broiler.  In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, hoisin sauce, and honey to make a glaze.  Rinse the salmon filets and pat dry.  Season both sides with salt and pepper.  Place filets on a rimmed baking sheet.  Brush generously with the glaze.  Broil the salmon about 4 inches from the heat source, basting once, until opaque in the center, 10-13 minutes.

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts




Serves approximately 3-4 as a side.

12-14 large brussels sprouts
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 glove garlic, minced
pinch sea salt
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)

Cut off stems and slice each brussels sprout very thin until you have a mound of feathery brussels sprout ribbons.  Heat the olive oil over medium high in a large skillet and saute the garlic for 30 seconds.  Add the brussels sprouts and continue sauteing for another 4-5 minutes, until bright green and tender (or longer if you like them more well-done, like me).  Add the sea salt and brown sugar and toss together.  Finish by adding the toasted nuts.

Balsamic-Roasted Butternut Squash




Cooking time, 45 minutes.  Serves 4 as a side.

1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 medium zucchini, peeled and diced (I omitted this because I didn't have one.  Feel free to add other vegetables you have laying around, i.e. carrots, potatoes)
1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1-2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Peel squash, remove seeds with an ice cream scoop, and dice into bite-sized pieces.  Place squash in a casserole dish and toss with other vegetables (if using), olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roast for 20-30 minutes, until fork tender.  Tast and adjust seasonings as needed.

While your squash roasts, caramelize your onions.  Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add sliced onions and stir until softened, about five minutes.  Lower heat to low-medium low, and add in 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.  Stir, and allow to cook for another 5-10 minutes.  After this time, check your onions, and if you really like balsamic vinegar (like I do), you can add another tablespoon.  Continue to stir occasionally for another 10 minutes or so, until the onions are nicely caramelized and the balsamic vinegar has reduced.

When your butternut squash is ready, toss it with the balsamic glazed onions.  Taste, and adjust seasoning as necessary.

Below is a picture of my beloved cooking helper, Maggie Moo.  She is SUCH a big help -- especially with clean up :)



Good luck!  Keep wining and dining :)

No comments:

Post a Comment